Getting older is important, it’s grounding. Other than perhaps having my 20 year old ass, I can think of no reason why I’d ever want to be in my 20’s again. Don’t get me wrong, they were an amazing time and hold so many brilliant memories for me, but I take what I’ve learned from them and head into my 30’s with my head held high and potentially full of botox-- never say never! Here are some life lessons that I’ve learned in all my 30 years and 1 day of living. Enjoy.
- Toxic people GOTSTA GO aka I ain’t got time for that shit. As you get older, your true friends become truer and you realize that life is way shorter than you thought it was when you were a kid. Spend time with your true friends. The friends that always encourage you and make you laugh. Spend less time on the people that bring you nothing but drama and bad juju.
- Go for the gold. Screw you. Yes, I do love the Olympics. No shame, had I any skill whatsoever I’d be triple sow-cowin’ my ass off right now. Okay, back to the gold. Go for it. Go for your dreams. Yes, it’s cheesy. I don’t care. I’ve spent so much of my life scared to try for fear I’d fail. Who makes this idea that success can only be one thing? One way? I’m so happy that I’ve gotten to the point in my life where I am excited to go for my dreams, knowing that my success does not define me, but my willingness to try does.
- Say yes to adventure. Along the same lines as the gold. I think when you greet each day with a prayer asking for a true adventure you are blessed beyond your wildest dreams. When you live each day open to the idea of possibility being around every corner you are truly living. It’s easy to stay in your bubble, it’s comfortable, but it’s rarely extraordinary. Some of my most amazing moments in this life were because I said yes, when I might have wanted to say no. Don’t settle for ordinary.
- Go outside and eat well. This one is simple. Go be outside in the glorious freaking earth we live in, we weren’t meant to stay inside and sit on our asses all day!! Take a walk, go on a hike, you will be amazed at how clear you feel! And you know my food philosophy and if you don’t you can read about it here. Be good to yourself and getting older won’t seem to matter much.
- Believe in something. I’m not trying to spark any religious debates. Suursisly, I don’t want none of it. I don’t care what you believe, but believe in something. I spent most of my life running from faith, but as an adult. A real life adult, I’ve come to find that being able to place my trust in something higher, believing that I was never alone, never forgotten helped me accomplish just about everything I just listed. I found peace with being me, just how I am.
So that’s my list, I could go on and on and on because I’m so freaking wise now. But I think you get it, hold your true friends close, work hard to follow your heart, don’t be scared of a little adventure, be good to yourself, and believe in something... I’m so blessed by all of the beautiful, unique people in my life and I’m so lucky to be married to my best friend who fills my heart with laughter. I’m pumped for 30, happy to face this next year with a confidence only acquired over time.... And now? Bed. Because I’m old and tired! [insert winky face]